14 December 2006

Drowning in a Sea of Red



In the lower right corner: a card from my Secret Pal, which also had a sweet little charm inscribed with the word "Inspire" (perfect sentiment for a mom). (And, yes, I finally figured it out after she pretty much said, "Yoohoo, it's me!" while waving wildly.)

Then, of course, are the mittens. Mitten number 4 is on the needles. Fourth mitten syndrome has set in. I only work on this when I'm away from home. Because when I'm away from home I can't sew....

Yes, the main pile of red is 2 velour dresses which should have been completed 2 weeks ago. Since taking the photo I have wrestled them down to the handwork of hemming (sorry, no machine hemming on bias-cut velour in this house -- I'm not that crazy). I've alternated between loving and hating this velour. I'll be sewing along thinking, "Ooooh, so soft! Pretty, pretty softness! I must making myself something out of this," and vowing to never put another zipper in velour again in my life (I have done at least 5 zipper insertions between the 2 dresses; mind you, each dress only has one zipper, but the velour kept squirming away from it's designated spot in spite of massive amounts of hand basting).

Company coming for the weekend tomorrow. I am up to my ankles in little velour fluffs. Think it can pass as Christmas decor?

1 comment:

chipper said...

I can't wait to see the dresses. I know that they will be beautiful!!!

fourth mitten issues! I feel your pain. My mitten issues came in at mitten number five and I needed 6. ugh! the mitten wasn't so bad, but I totally didn't want to put those thumbs on there. I almost made them thumbless. :)

I wanted to share this blog post with you cause I thought you and the girls might enjoy making these http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/
posie_gets_cozy/2006/12/santa_lucia
_dol.html (I broke it up so that it would fit in here, sorry)