26 December 2005

Online Christmas shopping

I spent much of Christmas day engaging in online shopping.

First, VDad and I decided we needed to give more to missions. I spent awhile at the awesome UMCOR site. Reasons I like this way of giving to charity: 100 percent of the donation goes exactly where I want it (United Methodist Church pays all overhead); incredibly easy to give (mail a check, drop off check at local United Methodist Church, use credit card online). I chose 2 or 3 projects there.

Then I spent most of the rest of the day reading online reviews of sewing machines. Every time I think I've narrowed it down something new pops up. Sigh. I think I'm just going to go to the Viking dealer and see what they talk me into. I like Viking because it's made in Sweden. I'm having a tough time finding out where exactly the other machines are made.

I did finish the heel of a sock. And I started a shawl. I had ordered some Morehouse Merino yarn last week, and it arrived at my door by Saturday. Wow! So I pulled out my swift (cleverly disguised as the back of a kitchen chair) and my ball winder (a Nostepinne that sometimes poses as a toilet paper tube) and wound that quad-skein. I then cast on the required 200-plus stitches, knit awhile, decided I don't like the cast-on I used (I always stew about which cast-on method to use; I wish I'd never learned more than one) and decided the color (Waterlilies) really looks much better on my monitor than in my hands. So I threw it next to the bed, and decided to concentrate on sewing machines. Yep, from now on I'm all about sewing, not knitting.

2 comments:

Olive Oyl/Pensguys said...

Hi Gail!!

I got my Addis from a guy on Ebay....
http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop.

GREAT prices...I used a pair this weekend and I'm hooked! LOL

I think I'm going to try counting points this week...eating every 2-3 hrs is driving me crazy.

I'm REALLY looking forward to my ds taking over some of his own work and having more responsibility for it.

Donna Boucher said...

Oh....tell me about Morehouse yarn...I have been to their cool website...but I have not purchased anything from them....
What do you like about it???

Donna