14 September 2007

Eight Random Things

Kristen at A Day in the Life tagged me to write 8 random things about myself.

1. This is great because my natural tendency is to ramble on and on without making much sense. Proof of this:




You're Ulysses!

by James Joyce

Most people are convinced that you don't make any sense, but compared
to what else you could say, what you're saying now makes tons of sense. What people do
understand about you is your vulgarity, which has convinced people that you are at once
brilliant and repugnant. Meanwhile you are content to wander around aimlessly, taking in
the sights and sounds of the city. What you see is vast, almost limitless, and brings you
additional fame. When no one is looking, you dream of being a Greek folk hero.



Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.



So, blurting out 8 random things is right up my alley. Although they're more likely to be vulgar than brilliant. And as for repugnant, well, decide for yourself. I certainly don't have a clue what you find repugnant. Although I suspect if I told you about the time I ... oh never mind, I'm almost positive you'd find that anecdote distasteful.

Hat tip to Tammy for the quiz.

2. I would've done this meme yesterday morning, but I always mop the kitchen floor on Thursday mornings after MrV leaves for work and before the kids get up. I play NPR on the radio, and have some quiet time to myself scrubbing away. Afterwards, if the kids are still asleep, I do a yoga tape; generally I choose a tape by Rodney Yee or Baron Baptiste, but sometime Shiva Rea.

3. Morning is my favorite time of day. The world seems ripe with possibilities in the morning.

4. York Peppermint Patties are my current favorite form of chocolate. I keep them in the refrigerator.

5. At one time I was vegetarian, and yes, even vegan for a brief stint. Now I'm not.

6. When I walk around the neighborhood I think about all the secrets the houses seem to hold -- all the joys and sorrows that I can't even begin to guess at. Lately I've been thinking the same thing about blogs I pass through reading -- what joys and sorrows are hidden in the heart of the writer? And who am I to judge the tiny glimpse I do see, given how much is hidden from view?

7. I tend to think most people are about the same level of smart as am I. And I tend to be startled when I discover that I'm often wrong about that. Then again, I like to present myself to the world as shallow and dippy, because then people don't have annoying expectations of me. I wonder if some of the people I think are shallow and dippy are doing the exact same thing.

(Okay, I need to add something here -- plenty of people startle me by being so much smarter than me that it sort of makes me dizzy to think about. It's like realizing that you're blind to something others can see -- other people have such comprehension and intelligence about things I just do. not. get. So, the point is that I tend assume that everyone is exactly like me, and I'm always surprised when I discover they aren't. You'd think I'd catch on. But I don't.)

8. I really, really hate to shop. Having to make a decision to purchase one thing and not-purchase another just paralyzes me. It's sort of the same feeling as trying to decide who to tag with a meme versus who to not-tag. So, I tend to avoid shopping and tagging.

Thanks, Kristen, for giving me the opportunity to aimlessly babble. I love, love, love this type of meme, and would do it weekly. Except I don't like reading random bullet-point stuff like this on a regular basis (I was just reading a Thomas Sowell Random Thoughts column this morning and thinking how much I dislike that writing style since the author never develops any of the ideas) , so then I'd hate reading my own blog. And, you know, that just seems so very wrong, to write a blog you wouldn't want to read yourself. Not that I read my blog. Who has time? I need to read all of your blogs! Including your 8 Random Things, because in small doses it's lots of fun!

No comments: