02 January 2008

The Joyce Country Ceili Sweater

We loaded up in the car to go visit Mom and Dad. We took plenty of CDs to listen to, and I took Twist to work on.

And, for some obscure reason, all the way there we listened to The Saw Doctors, and I knit away on my cabled Twist. I felt very Celtic.

Well, I say we listened to The Saw Doctors. Mostly we listened to The Joyce Country Ceili Band:



Although we also liked "Will It Ever Stop Raining" plenty. It's nearly as much fun. I can't find a clip for it, which is a shame. You should really go buy the CD so you can hear it.

After about 4-5 hours of this, we emerged from the car with Irish accents and a tendency to interject "Boomshakalakalaka" into conversations. And Twist had become a Ceili sweater.

I continued to knit on Twist all weekend (while humming to myself a random assortment of Saw Doctor tunes). I finished the back, we got in the car to head home, we turned on the CD, I reached in my knitting bag to start the left front....

OH NO! I didn't bring the needles I needed to cast on the front ribbing! Five hours in the car, and no knitting!

So I amused myself by loading various CDs in the player. No more of The Saw Doctors (well, not as much as in the original trip).

We got home, unloaded the car, put everything away, and sat down to take a breather. And the knitting gods smiled upon me, because Star Trek TNG "First Contact" was on, so we all HAD to sit and watch it. That left front is just flying along:




Okay, confession: it was also knit during Monty Python and the Holy Grail on New Year's Eve. And I think there's some Marx Brothers in there, too. Is it any wonder I'm thinking this is a fun knit? Fun things happen when I knit it!

6 comments:

Heather said...

I was knitting (and grumbling and swearing) while watching First Contact too. Got a little distracted during the scenes with Freaky Borg Lady - she's just gross. ;) Otherwise I got a lot of knitting done and hardly noticed. Maybe you're onto something with the good tv + knitting thing.

GailV said...

She also shows up on Star Trek Voyager, I think in the final season. So we were excited to see her -- the movie had bits and pieces of stuff from Voyager and also Star Trek Enterprise, and we're geeky about that sort of thing.

The kids were pretty disgusted when Data gave her a big kiss, though.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Love the sweater. I bought a pattern for a sweater, but I haven't quite gotten up the nerve to actually order the yarn. Soon though. :} Just have to decide which one.

I *have* discovered that I'm much more tolerant about watching the movies the five males in this household choose since I started knitting. :)

Staci Eastin said...

Looks very nice.

It took me four tries to spell "looks" correctly. I'm tired. I can only imagine what would happen if I tried to knit cables right now.

kitten said...

Sounds like yall had a wonderful time. Sweater is looking good!
Good video, never heard of them before.
Happy New Year!

Tara said...

Twist is looking awesome!