24 October 2006

RightStart Geometry and a tiny bit of RightStart B

The continuing saga of our adventures using RightStart Geometry and RightStart B. I have an 11yo and a 7yo who have average math ability.The 11yo has done Miquon, Singapore, RightStart Transitions, Level D and Level E; RightStart has saved her from a life a math phobia.

On Tuesdays I upload an update of what we did in math for the week.

RightStart Geometry:

Lesson 68 Circle Designs

This looks like a cool, easy lesson. Except that once Kid1 starts working on the first worksheet she discovers that the circle design, with a designated radius of 60mm, doesn’t fit on the page. She is highly annoyed. The second worksheet had designs using a radius of 30mm. Hmmmm. It occurs to her that the first worksheet has a typo.

She does both worksheets using circles with 30mm radii. It works. But it’s still ... annoying.

Lesson 69 Rounding Edges with Tangents

I don’t believe I’ve ever learned the official way to round a corner using a tangent. I always just sort of eyeballed it and guessed. Kid1 starts to ask me how to do something; I gamely start drawing parallels and perpendiculars (with no clue where, exactly, I’m headed). It becomes clear to her what she is to do. Thank goodness. I hope she’s around when her younger sister gets to this lesson, because I’m lost.

Lesson 70 Tangent Circles

“Oh, good. I’ve been waiting for this lesson!” Apparently she had peeked ahead, and was anticipating drawing a trefoil, quatrefoil, spiral and yin-yang symbol.

During the lesson she stumbles somewhat on drawing the spiral. By the time she reads aloud and explains to me her question she figures out what she needs to do (whew! I just dodged another bullet!).

I had not paid much attention to the equipment needed for Geometry, and thought we had the appropriate compass. We have the Safe-T Compass used for lower levels of RightStart; these lessons really need the mmArc Compass. Kid1 manages to muddle through (although she thinks the spiral would’ve turned out better with the mmArc Compass). I’ve noticed that Hobby Lobby has a lot of this equipment in their drafting section; I’ll try to get by there to see if they stock the mmArc Compass.

Lesson 71 Bisecting Angles

I always thought that it was fun to bisect angles. Kid1 shares my enthusiasm. This is an easy, fun lesson. She asks me no questions, but if she had I could’ve answered -- I love this stuff.

Lesson 72 Perpendicular Bisectors

The lesson flows smoothly. I have no contact with it whatsoever. It’s an odd feeling after all those intense one-on-one lessons in earlier levels.

RightStart B:

We have started back up with RightStart B, pretty much right where we left off. Really, though, I haven't been keeping track of what we do day-to-day. I'll try to get back to it. Frankly, by the time we finish the lesson I'm pretty much mathed-out for the day, and don't care to think about it any longer (fortunately, Kid2 isn't catching this attitude -- she thinks it's all great fun).

No comments: