28 March 2007

RightStart Geometry

The continuing saga of our adventures using RightStart Geometry and RightStart B. I have an 11yo and a 7yo who have average math ability.The 11yo has done Miquon, Singapore, RightStart Transitions, Level D and Level E; RightStart has saved her from a life a math phobia.

I try to update our adventures on Tuesdays, although sometimes it doesn’t get done until Wednesday. And sometimes we really haven’t done that much math, so I skip it entirely.


RightStart Geometry:

Lesson 106 Tessellating Triangles

As the title implies, this is all about tessellating with triangles. The drawing portion of worksheet 1 takes For. Ever. as Kid1 draws out jillions of tiny tessellating triangles with her drawing tools; I read aloud several chapters from a book as she works (I used to love listening to books when I was working on drafting projects, since it’s somewhat mindless work).

We pause for some whining about not understanding worksheet 2. I pick up the textbook and read it aloud, including the words “If you need a hint for the second worksheet...”blah blah blah. Oh, okay, now it makes sense. I am hopeful that Kid1 will eventually learn to re-read the lesson if she doesn’t instantly understand everything. Sigh.

Lesson 107 Tessellating Quadrilaterals

“Only 42 lessons until I’m finished with the book!”

I try to tell her that I think more lessons will be mailed out -- that the book isn’t completely written yet. My heart’s not in it, though.

And the lesson itself? Just more tessellations. Always more tessellations. “March 2007 -- Season of Tessellations” -- that’s how we’ll remember this time of our lives.

Lesson 108 Escher Tessellation

Hooray! I’ve been waiting for this lesson forever! We had a couple of books of Escher’s work that I used to spend hours and hours studying when I was in middle school. I requested some Escher books from the library, but they haven’t arrived yet (the books my family owns are apparently at my parents’ or a siblings’ house). I love this stuff.

The lesson also discusses the history of tessellations in various world cultures. A couple of Internet links are given which give examples, including this one that has some Escher.

The assignment is to make a tessellation with a more sinuous design, within the parameters of 4 corners. Kid1 isn’t happy with her results, feeling too constrained by the corners. Ah, the problems of designing/making art within someone else’s specifications ... it never ends, does it.

No comments: