03 April 2007

RightStart Geometry

The continuing saga of our adventures using RightStart Geometry and RightStart B. I have an 11yo and a 7yo who have average math ability.The 11yo has done Miquon, Singapore, RightStart Transitions, Level D and Level E; RightStart has saved her from a life a math phobia.

I try to update our adventures on Tuesdays, although sometimes it doesn’t get done until Wednesday. And sometimes we really haven’t done that much math, so I skip it entirely.


RightStart Geometry:

Lesson 109 Tessellation Summary and Mondrian Art

Hurray! No tessellations to draw! Just a couple worksheet to summarize the types of tessellations, which can be filled out fairly quickly.

We can’t seem to connect with the website listed in the book for Mondrian Art. We have a couple of postcard size prints of Mondrian’s work, plus I found this website . The instructions are to draw a couple of Mondrian designs on the bottom of the worksheet; Kid1 uses a separate piece of paper which she mounts on construction paper for an artier effect.

Lesson 110 Box Fractals

I am asked, “Mommy, what’s 1/3 of 1/6?” I’m playing Corners with Kid2, and brush off the question, telling her to figure it out herself. I later discover that she ended up using a calculator and doing it in decimals. Yikes! I draw pictures on scrap paper to show how to figure it out.

“See, you end up with 6 groups of 3, which equals what? And here’s what the equation looks like ... remember this now?” This stuff was at the end of Level E. We even took time off from Geometry earlier this year and went back to review it. It isn’t sticking.

I notice that the lesson has a portion with a sidebar stating, “If you know all about exponents, you can skim this paragraph.” The glitch with multiplying fractions leaves me wondering whether she knows about exponents.

No comments: