25 April 2006

More Math -- RightStart Geometry

KidV1 has started using RightStart Geometry now. When we received it last week I looked through the first few lessons and was surprised to find it was stuff we'd done already. It was so easy! Topics covered were as simple as how to stick a piece of paper on a drawing board, how to draw parallel lines with a T-square, how to divvy up triangles.

I gradually figured out what the author was getting at, though. Oh, she's a clevel one, that Joan Cotter.

When I handed the book to KidV1, I explained to her that she would be doing it on her own -- she would need to read through the book, gather her materials, copy off the worksheet (we copy off the worksheet so that we can make a fresh copy in case of major blunders -- it saves a lot of weeping and wailing that way). And, yes, she could check her own work with the answer key in the back.

Her first comment was, "What, no Mommy?!?" in an anquished voice. One of the great things about RightStart for this child has been that Mommy sits right there discussing math with her every day. Mommy is right there to hold her hand, tell her she can do it, prod her on. My reply? The first lesson is about how to stick the paper on the drawing board -- you'll do fine, honey. You already know how to do this stuff.

Aha. Yes, KidV1 does know how to do that. As a matter of fact, some of the directions were so simplistic that she asked me about them ("why does it say to hold your pencil like this?" "Because maybe another kid is using this book who, unlike you, didn't listen to me lecture 100 times last year about how to hold a pencil while drafting").

She's so confident now as she goes about her math lessons. Of course, I wander through the room several times and peek over her shoulder, offering the sincere comment that I wish I were the one doing the lessons. They look so much fun! Yesterday she was working with triangles, constructing a tetrahedron. In future lessons she'll be making tessellations, designing plaid, playing with the Golden Ratio.

I think perhaps a kid who hadn't used RightStart up to this point could use this book. The parent might need to preview the lessons to be prepared to answer any questions (assuming the parent doesn't feel confident about the subject matter themselves).

I'm going to make periodic updates on how RightStart Geometry is going at our house. It's such a new program, and so many people ask "What do you do after RightStart E?" -- I want to help chart that territory.

No comments: