02 March 2006

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss is a favorite in our house. My parents are big fans, and have spent hours reading the books to the VKids. The kids' favorite story is Too Many Daves from the book The Sneetches. Favorite anti-Dave name? Oliver Boliver Butt, of course.

I was never such a big fan of The Sneetches, by the way, mostly because the book contained the story What Was I Scared Of? with those pale green pants with no one inside them. Oooo, I was afraid of that story. It gave me the creeps. Do you remember when you were little being afraid that if you opened a book to a scary-picture page the scariness would slip out from the pages into your life? That was me.

This page has some fun activities based on Dr. Seuss books. I especially like the idea of making turtles and stacking them up a la Yertle the Turtle. Links to other ideas for Cat in the Hat hats are at the bottom of the page.

And, speaking of children's books, did you know you can read a children's literature review online? I am addicted to book reviews, so I was thrilled to find The Edge of the Forest .

Signing off now to go read to the kids.

No comments: