30 March 2006

News Flash! Homeschool mom blows off most of day , and world does not come to screaming halt without her there to run things!

A few days ago one of those incredible events happened to me -- the sort we all dream about. A trusted adult phoned and said, "Hey, I'm free this week. How about if I look after the kids one afternoon while you go get some stuff done?"

Wow. I blurted out something about going to shop for an Easter dress. This was sort of stupid, because then I was pretty much commited to that course of action. I hate shopping. Then again, I had already thrown away my old Easter dress, which was about 15 years old and long past its prime, so shopping was a necessary evil.

So, I spent yesterday afternoon slogging around in clothing shops. I saw so many tops that looked like photos from Knitty and MagKnits; I kept thinking, "hey, I could make that!" A woman tried to sell me a shawl. Hah. I ended up with a dress that would look better with some sort of little crocheted or knitted jacket ... hmmm.

In the meantime, the kids and Trusted Adult went on a nature walk, then did some art about it. Next, they went to the Butterfly House. Art! Science! Phys Ed! A field trip! An entire afternoon of homeschooling, and I wasn't even there!

Now I'm back in charge today, and so far we have accomplished ... let's see ... pretty much nothing homeschool-ish. Oh, we've run some errands which involved waiting in long lines (sort of a school-ish thing to do). Right now the kids are outside doing ... stuff. Outside stuff. Undirected outside stuff. I think ... I think it might be time to declare the rest of this week "Spring Break".

3 comments:

Brewer said...

How totally cool! I'm suffering the curse of moving too much. We've lived here for about 6mo and know no one. The Family all lives about 7-8hrs away, so no afternoon to myself there. If we don't find a new car soon, I may have to go postal ;) I'm so desperate to get away that I'll even take the kids :) I'm so silly that I'm counting the days till the big fiber fest in the fall here. FIber fiber everywhere! I can't wait

Whach-ya gonna crochet or knit to go with your dress? There is a new Interweave Knits Crochet magazine out now ( http://www.interweavecrochet.com/default.asp ). there are some pretty things in there. Good luck!

Brewer said...

Canada/USA UK/Australia/Europe
sl st - slip stitch sl st - slip stitch
sc - single crochet dc - double crochet
dc- double crochet tr - treble crochet
tr - triple crochet dtr or dbl tr - double treble

I found this chart to use to "translate" :) but I'm not sure it is entirely accurate. I think our slip stitch is their single crochet. I'll keep looking.

OK, I like this chart here better
http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/tips/convnauk.shtml
I've never used a british pattern. Good luck!

Kirsten said...

What part of MO or IL do you live in? I'd love to have a show at Fontbonne, or something at the Craft Alliance in St. Louis. I need to start dropping some images and hints.